The Town Club History
The Town Club was established in 1927 by a group of women who wished to share cultural, intellectual, and social activities. Renowned architect Roland Coate designed the beautiful one-story clubhouse, and the grounds were planned by famed West Coast landscape architect, Florence Yoch.
The Town Club was enlarged in the 1930s, when the Terrace Room, the Bridge Room, and the Staff Rooms were added.
A special luncheon was held on December 15, 1932 to celebrate the burning of the original mortgage on the land and building. A fire was set up in the brick courtyard. The Club President ceremoniously lit the paper afire.
The Club was founded with 100 charter members, all from the Pasadena area. The initiation fee was $100, and dues were $5 a month. Luncheon at the members’ table was 75 cents and at a private table $1.00. Dinner was $1.50. Gentlemen were invited on Mondays for luncheon and on Thursdays for dinner.
In the 1950s, land was acquired south of the Club for a parking lot and flower garden. Many of the flowers used in the arrangements on display throughout the Clubhouse are grown in this garden.
The Town Club did not have a liquor license until the early 1970s. There was some controversy regarding the appropriateness of having liquor available on the premises, and so a more flexible dinner hour was implemented in order to accommodate those who wished to have cocktails at home before coming to dinner at the Club. Today, members and their guests enjoy a full bar and an extraordinary international wine collection.
Since its founding, The Town Club has regularly presented a wide variety of programs and speakers. Once a month Saturday night dinners were introduced in the late 1990s and theme dinners are held each month. The elegant New Year's Eve party has been a tradition since 1999.
The Club has become well known for its outstanding traditional, but innovative cuisine. Its chefs are encouraged to prepare a wide variety of dishes in new and creative ways.
Members volunteer to serve on the committees which help to oversee the operations of the Club.
Many current members are daughters, granddaughters, great-great granddaughters of earlier members. Now in its 90th year, the traditions of The Town Club are cherished and appreciated by its members and guests.